One of the biggest problems with original Medicare is…
It does NOT include preventive dental coverage.
This oversight leaves many individuals ignoring an important component of wellness.
Regular dental cleanings and check-ups may reduce the risk of developing endocarditis or exacerbating other cardiovascular conditions.
Studies from the University of Illinois postulate links between…
- Periodontal plaque and Alzheimer’s
- Gum Disease and pre-Diabetes
- Periodontal disease and Obesity
The good news:
Simple steps recommended in this article can reduce these risks:
- Twice daily two minute brushing with a soft bristled brush
- Flossing Daily
- Mouthwash after flossing and brushing
- Avoiding tobacco
- Regular Dental checkups and cleanings
Because Medicare does not cover preventive dental care, consumers must explore alternative options:
- Check if your plan includes dental benefits built in or if there is an option to add dental benefits.
- Review stand alone dental insurance plans with your independent Medicare Insurance Broker.
- If you already have a dentist, ask their billing person what are the most popular insurance plan they see their clients using.
- Consider dental tourism. Yours truly gets a dental work done overseas, whenever possible, at a fraction of the price. Do your homework before selecting a dentist.
Maintaining proper oral hygiene is an important component of overall wellness, so if you need help in reviewing your dental options, book a time on my calendar here.